Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Running

I did it. I signed up for the Mini Marathon here in Indy. And I did it just in time because the race reached capacity just two days after I signed up. So it's set. Now that I've paid $79, I better run it. I had actually planned to run the Mini last year but never got around to registering in time. Which turned out really well because by the time May rolled around, I was almost 5 months pregnant.

I figured that since I just gave birth 2 months ago, this would give me some good incentive to get back into shape after my fourth baby in five years.

Heh heh. I love saying that. It freaks people out.

So I started "training" (although I'm not really sure what I'm doing) a few weeks ago. I ran/walked 6 miles the first week and wound up with shin splints. Flashback to high school basketball days. OUCH. I did a bit of research online - because you know, we all know how reliable the internet is - and decided that it might be a good idea to strengthen my legs before attempting to run again. So I took a few days off and then went back to the gym. I started working on the leg machines and walking? running? moving? on the elliptical machine. Next week I'm going to attempt going back to running on the treadmill. I'm hoping my legs have become strong enough that the pain of shin splints will be no more. Or at least minimal.

I bought my first mp3 player this weekend and I TOTALLY. LOVE. IT. It keeps me so much more focused on what I'm doing and provides me much better entertainment than the (lame) music they play at the gym. So thank you, birthday money-givers for that sweet gift!

I'm really looking forward to the experience of running alongside 35,000 other people. As frightening as that sounds. Hopefully I won't get run over. :)

wm e DSC_0764

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

Sounds like...fun?? I'd actually like to try to run it too sometime. You'll have to tell me how it goes, and then perhaps I'll give it a shot.