Friday, November 20, 2009


It started with a sore throat. I woke up with it yesterday and was hoping it was just a fluke. When evening rolled around, I noticed my back was hurting. I chalked it up to sleeping in a strange position the night before. But then the exhaustion hit.

I was at church with my middle daughter making embossed Christmas cards when I suddenly realized I was tired. Very tired. Like, so tired I was a little concerned about driving home. We headed home and on the way I called my husband. "I'm not feeling well." Even I spoke the words into my cell phone, I began to feel worse.

How could this come on so quickly? I was feeling fine a few hours ago.

By the time we arrived at home, my body was aching and my head was throbbing. I managed to nurse my daughter, take some vitamins, and drink a mug of echinacea tea before crawling into bed.

Then began the delusions. All night long I kept thinking about how I had to make 50 Christmas cards and was actually doing this in my dreams. (For the record, I don't make Christmas cards nor do I send any out, but I blame my evening activities for this one.) Then I remember thinking how it was absolutely AMAZING that my youngest daughter would go right back to sleep if I gave her a pacifier. I mean, this was going to be a revolution! I just knew it!

When I finally pulled myself out of bed around 7a this morning to feed my daughter (after the pacifier no longer satisfied her), I began to think through all my delusions from the night before. Funny stuff.

And because I know you want to see it and because it has nothing to do with anything, I'm now going to show you my newly-decorated mantel. Actually, things have been moved around a bit since I took these pictures. (There is now one tall vase on the right with the wreath to its left, but you get the idea.) I found these fake flower things at Joann for 70% off and since I love a good bargain, I had to get them. I had actually envisioned something a little different for the wreath but when it didn't work out as I had planned in my head, I just went with the flow. Please ignore the fact that there is no beautiful fire burning for these pictures.





And now I am going back to lying on the couch in the fetal position, hoping the pounding in my head will soon cease and the children who bring me such joy will take beautifully, wonderfully long naps.

No comments: